Saturday, May 16, 2015

on motherhood

"motherhood is a choice you make everyday, to put someone else's happiness and well-being ahead of your own. to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing, even when you're not sure what the right thing is... and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for doing everything wrong." donna ball

i am constantly wondering what the right thing is. being mom is tough. i second guess my decisions but stick to my guns once the decision has been made. it has taught me to trust my instincts. it has clarified my beliefs and what i think are important values.

i would prefer that last sentence say "and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for everything you do wrong." mistakes are made. apologies are necessary. it's most important to admit when something goes wrong. i talk a lot with the kids and ask them about how a situation was handled. next time, what can we do differently? but i don't think i'm doing everything wrong.

i have loving, mature, happy kids. i give and receive love and positive reinforcement everyday. i am proud of my family and feel that they will be good members of our society who believe in following their dreams, taking care of others and working hard.

yes, motherhood is a choice i make everyday. this is my job. i don't always get it right but i am always working on doing the best i can.

No comments: