Tuesday, January 4, 2011

this boy


who turned my world upside down.
who made me believe in prayer and faith and resolve - as i lay in bed for 16 weeks praying with all of my being that i could make it to the end with a healthy baby.
who taught me to put it all in god's hands.
who i remember holding in my arms like it was yesterday.
who showed me that life is sweet and grand and amazing.
who makes me proud.
who taught me to appreciate literature and the fun of reading.
with an imagination beyond his years.
who wonders about the world and human  behavior.
with more compassion than most adults i know.
who has friendships that will last a lifetime.



who resists change. . . and then accepts it.
who challenges me in thought and emotion.
who surprises me with what he can do.
who will take on any challenge - with a little bit of encouragement.
who puts more pressure on himself than anyone else could.
who takes life seriously but with an amazing sense of humor.
who has confidence, self awareness and pride - i could use some of that.
who is almost as tall as i am.
who protects and loves his family.

who worries that someday he will "act like a teenager" and hurt me.
who sets his mind to something and makes it happen.
who can turn lego pieces or a piece of paper into anything he wants.
who will change the world in some way, big or small.
who reminds me that anything is possible if you love and believe.


this boy turned 12 on january 1st.  and as is our tradition we stayed up until midnight to ring in the new year and to sing him "happy birthday".  i love you with all my heart, sweet boy.

5 comments:

Mackenzie said...

Happy belated b-day Jordan! Can't believe you're going to be a teenager next year!

Anonymous said...

What can I say....BEAUTIFUL!!! I got chills....

beannie said...

this boy... needs a haircut!

Melissa said...

I love this post. I love that boy too and can't believe he's gotten so big/old/mature/etc! Brought tears to my eyes. Love you Betty and Jordan!

Unknown said...

love this!