Wednesday, January 19, 2011

menu planning | resources

as i said, i love to cook.  and i really love cookbooks.  in fact i have been known to bring a cookbook to bed for a little nightime reading.  i love the pictures and it inspires me to want to get in the kitchen and cook.

today i wanted to share some of my favorite places to get recipes.

cookbooks
i have a ton.  a lot.  but one stands out

i got this at my bridal shower sixteen years ago.  it taught me so much about cooking and gave me some of my favorite recipes - macaroni and cheese, chicken pot pie, not to mention cookies and cakes.  there is something so timeless about this book.  i updated it once with a newer version that includes calories.  but for the most part it's perfect just the way it is.

 another classic for me.  great food, amazing photography and just a great resource for basic cooking.  i have quite a few of her books.


i am a huge fan of italian food.  simple, clean, and delicious (just like the cover says).  i love giada's twist on classic italian food.  and seriously, she is so darn cute.

oh and my copy is signed by the one and only. we met her in 2006 at the la times festival of books.

magazines
i get most of my recipe ideas from magazines.  i could seriously subscribe to 10, but i only get 2.


cooking light - they always have amazing recipes.  and i love their photography.  i do keep back issues and have purchased their yearly cookbooks.  but to be honest their website is a huge resource now.  

everday food - i love that this is a little magazine but it is filled with so much information.  there is a section called grocery bag that gives you five nights of dinners including a grocery list, super convenient.  the jan/feb issue is the light issue and includes recipes for smoothies and some creative snack alternatives.

i don't subscribe but i occasionally buy this one


i was just looking through this one tonight.  another resource for easy and delicious food.

websites
ahhhh, this is my new love.  surfing the web "looking" for recipes.  i really just love looking at people's sites and checking out the photography.

cookinglight.com - a great place to get information about cooking and nutrition.  if you do a recipe search you will end up at myrecipes.com that has recipes for cooking light, southern living and other sources.

thisweekfordinner.com - jayne maynard created this website to post her weekly menus.  she encourages others to post theirs and that makes it a great resource.  she also links to other websites on her menus.  love that.

skinnytaste.com - recipes that are low cal, weight watcher friendly and simply good.  i have made a few of her recipes and they don't disappoint.  one of my favorites, pasta fagioli.

i could go on and on.  but this is a good idea of what i use.  

i look through cookbooks and magazines and tag recipes that look interesting.  i write down what i will be making for the week and note the resource.  i hate when i pick something and then can't remember where to find it.  i don't usually print recipes from the computer since our computer is in the dining area right next to the kitchen.  or i use my iphone to bring it right to the stove.

hope this helps.  and if you are interested in learning about a recipe leave a comment.  i might be able to find a good source.

tomorrow i will share my #1 requested recipe and my all-time favorite weeknight dinner.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

good resource guide. I love Giada! I didn't know about skinnytaste. I'll have to check it out!

jessica anastacio said...

Hi there!
Just found your blog & love it :-)
I too am a cookbook junkie & collector. I'll definitely make that Pasta Fagoli soon. I have been pondering the thought of menu planning for a month at a time for a while, but it seems so overwhelming to me. But in reading your approach to it, I think you have taken the fear out of it for me. I'll try to give it a go this week...wich me luck!
Take care & hope to see you soon.

Julie (juls2000) said...

Your making me hungry- heehee! Thanks for all the great resources! Off to check some out- skinnytaste- I haven't heard of that one!

Unknown said...

What a great list. I always struggle with my weekly menus, so I'm totally bookmarking your blog. :)

Shannon Cayer said...

I love the cookbook inspiration. Thank you! I do subscribe to Real Simple... it's my favorite for a lot of reasons, but I like how it can help me plan a comfort food menu for a week!