Wednesday, January 5, 2011

little black camera

this is as important to me as my little black dress.  having a camera that i can have with me at anytime.

for christmas i asked for, and got, a new point and shoot camera.

i didn't give up my "real" camera.  i am saving my pennies for this one.  and, thanks to my christmas job, i have saved up almost enough to get it.   but i love having a small camera that i can carry in my purse, or take on fieldtrips, or hand over to someone else to snap a family photo without having to explain about fixed lenses and aperture.  it is so convenient to have a camera that i turn on and just shoot. and i had one of those.

the thing is. . .technology is changing at such a rapid rate. cameras now have more megapixels with each generation of model. this one has 14.1 compared to my SD800 that only has 7.1.  it really doesn't make a difference unless you are blowing pictures up.  but i do some editing and cropping and that's when i can see how more megapixels would be helpful.

what i love

  • it is so tiny.  smaller than my iphone.  
  • i can easily put it in my pocket. 
  • the screen on the back is almost 3 inches.  that's bigger than my rebel.
  • it can take fisheye pictures.  i just love the look of these.

  • it is great at taking low light photos.  my other camera was useless in low light. (this was one of the reasons i wanted this camera)
  • it has image stabilizer, to get a clearer picture even if your hands a little shakey.
  • i just love canon.  it has been an easy to transition to this new camera.  
  • that sofia can take the camera and get shots like these while we wait at the orthodontist's office.

if this were my only camera, it would be perfect.  it is part of my collection of cameras that i have and i love.  i shared this quote with someone this morning, and it fits today.

“The best camera is the One That’s with You. Images aren’t about dynamic ranges and megapixels. They’re about stories and moments.”
~ Chase Jarvis


so whatever camera you have make sure you are capturing those moments and telling your story.  happy wednesday

1 comment: