Friday, January 21, 2011

five on friday | kitchen favorites

i do have a thing for kitchen items.  i love tools and dishes (and cookbooks).  but for today i wanted to post my five favorite kitchen items.

1.  santoku knife

love this knife.  it's definitely a splurge at $100.  but i bought it on sale and with a gift card.  this is not an ordinary knife.  it is sharp and the blade is wide so it cuts through chicken, meat, potatoes and just about anything with ease.  see those grooves?  it helps to keep the food from sticking to the knife and piling up as you cut.  the high price comes with a commitment, though.  i take extra care of this knife.  it doesn't go in the dishwasher where it can dull from the intense heat.  it doesn't go in a drawer where it can bang against other tools and dull.  i don't sharpen it with my knife sharpener at home.  i take care of it and protect it like my child.  ok that's exaggerating a bit, but just a bit.  all of my other knives are average ones from macy's.  but this one is a jewel and worth the price. i took a cooking class a few years ago and the chef there recommended this swiss army chef's knife.
at $30 it's a deal.  she said it was highly scored by consumer reports.  it's something to add to my wish list.

another luxury item but one that will last a lifetime and cook like no other pot you own.  it is made in france, ooh la la.  it is basically a cast iron pot that is coated with enamel and it comes in some beautiful colors.  what i love is that once this pot is heated it maintains it's heat.  the heat is even throughout.  i use it to make soup every week.  i own this pot that i bought from someone on ebay and paid considerably less.  a few years ago bobby also bought me the teapot in the same color.  next on my wish list is this braiser.

i bet my mexican rice would come out perfectly every time.

3. oxo tongs
some people call this the most essential kitchen tool.  i agree.  mainly because you can use it for so many things.  grilling, pulling french fries out of the oven, serving salad.  i love that these are coated with rubber at the tips to keep them from getting too hot and prevent the food from sticking.  and the price really does make this a must have tool for everyone.

4. stoneware
i have a few stoneware pieces.  a round pizza stone, a lasagna baker and this one.  what's not to love about stoneware?  you have the perfect place to evenly bake cookies, bread, pizza or fish.  i also like this shape to put the pizza on.  i can cut the pizza into squares and that works better for us.  i put it in the oven as it heats and then slide the pizza on and listen for the sizzling sound.  all of my pieces are from pampered chef but you can find them at a lot of kitchen stores.

the last one was a hard decision.  i have many other items that are my favorites.  my food processor (both large and mini), my large cutting board, and my silpat.  but i have to say that this might be the winner.

5. kitchenaid mixer
this was a gift from bobby and my sister almost 12 years ago when i decided to quit working and be a stay-at-home mom.  i think they were hoping that if i had this mixer i would stay home all day and bake brownies.  my mixer is an earlier model than this sleek version.  it might be time for an upgrade.  loving the buttercup and green apple to go with my kitchen.  it is the best mixer i have ever owned.  it frees you up to do other things while your cookie or cake is mixing.  it can fluff egg whites, mix frosting or knead bread dough.  a few things i need to add is the new glass bowl.

and this pasta maker.
oooh, fresh made pasta, something on my to-do list this year.

so there you have it.  i'll have to do another post with what else is on my wish list.

leave a comment if you have a favorite kitchen tool.

have a good weekend.

6 comments:

Jenni de said...

I just got a pair of herb scissors and I love them! I also love my microplane, especially for grating ginger root. Also, I use my Pampered Chef garlic press all the time. You don't even have to peel the garlic. Its pretty awesome.

I've got heavy Calphalon pans. I wonder if they function about the same as the Le Creuset, just not as pretty. I've never understood what would make Le Creuset good enough to be worth so much money.

Valerie said...

Love my Le Creuset dutch oven, too. I've got the red one. I should take way better care of it. It's the best pot ever!!

Julie (juls2000) said...

I love the dutch oven! And, the yellow is so cool!

Personal Coach said...

I'm not a big gadget gal. Give me a good knife and I'm happy. But there are a few items that get utilized frequently in my kitchen. My microplane and hand chopper. Using the Zest of oranges and lemons adds big flavor without adding fat and calories. My chopper can cut though 8 cloves of garlic in nothing flat. Can you say Roasted garlic green beans in less than 12 minutes? yes!

jamie long said...

the dutch oven is my fave! and I need that braiser too!

Sabr said...

Wow those are all way nice - we got a Sanku (?) knife was Christmas and it is the best knife ever!