Monday, January 10, 2011

goodbye christmas - card project

this weekend we put away christmas.  always a little sad about it but it felt good to get some much needed space back in our house.  i don't have a lot of decorations so it went pretty quick.  we even put the boxes away so that they don't sit on the garage floor for 6 months.

a few years ago i struggled with what to do with all of the christmas cards we get throughout the season.  now that everyone is sending photo cards i just couldn't throw them away.  so here's what i came up with.

here's how we display our cards as we get them.
Photo from 2009
i tape them directly to the wall.  i love having them on display like this.  after christmas i carefully take them down and remove the tape.  i pick one card where i like the graphic or the colors, a traditional card not a photo card.  that card becomes the cover of the book.  

this is the one i picked this year:

i loved the colors, and the cute little birds.  i take some chipboard, usually packaging from something i ordered and cut it to size.

i measured it to 6x7.5 inches.  i use my exacto knife and ruler to cut.  then i use my cropadile to punch holes in the chipboard.  i glued the card to the chipboard and added the year with red glitter stickers.

i use the chipboard as a guide to punch all of the cards that i am keeping.   i am considering getting one of these to make it even easier next year. for this book i used basic office supply rings to keep them all together but you can use ribbon if you have that on hand.
unfortunately, i did not get a picture of the finished product.  it's already packed away, but here are some pictures from my other books.

sometimes i get fancy and paint the chipboard or stamp the date.  here i used ribbon to keep the books together.

i realized that i never bound my book for 2009, so i did that one this year too.

in december i pull these out and put them in a basket as part of my holiday decor.  we all enjoy looking through them.  eventually i will throw some of them away.  but for now it is an easy way to keep them together.

what about you?  do you keep or throw away your cards?  

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't get any cards this year :/. They all still go to my momma's house lol. No one thinks to send them to me. But I love your idea for keeping them! I'll have to keep that in mind when people start sending me my own!

Sarah said...

Oh what a cute idea! I feel so guilty throwing them away after christmas!

Shannon Cayer said...

I LOVE this idea! You are way too creative, my dear. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

Kelly Noel said...

this is such a great idea! i keep my cards too, but usually just put a rubberband around the stack and put them into a box. :P

lisa truesdell said...

what a fun idea! i have to admit that i recycle mine.

Mandy said...

This is a great idea!!Going to jot this idea down.

Jenn said...

What a fantastic idea! It seems fairly simple and quick and I love that it allows you to enjoy them again next year, too. Thanks for sharing!!!

Unknown said...

Love the simplicity of your card album. Last year I took my large square punch and created a page with pieces of the cards I got. I'm planning on doing it again this year. I'll have to share it on my blog too! Great idea!

Mackenzie said...

Super cute, Betty! And thanks for sending us a second card! :)