Tuesday, April 5, 2011

{re}focus :: april

it's april already.  how did that happen?

i read over my march goals before starting this post and feel good about where i am.  i love that my goals change and redevelop throughout the month.  in march i had a goal to get new camera gear.  but in the process of choosing it i realized that i needed more time to answer one simple question.  what do i need that i'm not getting from my current equipment?  until i had a answer the choice would not be clear.  i'm still figuring it out.

so, although i am putting my goals out there i am also open to changing them and making them fit into my life. and since it is april 5, some of my goals are already underway.

personal development | finishing that 5k was amazing.  and as soon as it was over i started thinking about what was next.  i want to work in more 5 mile runs.  maybe once a week on saturdays.  and round out my workouts with core and strength training at the gym.  i want to use this month to improve my running and then i will do another 5k in may.  i also want to put more effort into my diet.  more than anything just being aware of what i am eating everyday and how that adds up.  with summer coming up, and lots of weddings this year, i want to feel comfortable with how i look.  combining good eating with exercise is the way to make that happen.  oh and i could really use a haircut this month.

document | well, i've been practicing with my camera and really getting to know what it's limitations are.  i'm actually happy with it.  but know that an upgrade would mean a few extras; larger screen, maybe video, more focus points and higher iso's.  i'm not going to make a decision, or investment, until i am sure of what i want.  posts like this one help.  and this one that specifically talks about food photography. but i am taking lots of pictures.    i've been reading and looking at lots of pictures on  blogs.  and i will practice, practice, practice.  i am also noticing that i could use more photos that tell a story.  i have a lot of pictures of food, words, still life.  but i want to record relationships, and moments.  i am hoping to set out on some photo taking fieldtrips this month.

create | i want to scrapbook more this month.  traditional scrapbook layouts that use some of the fun products i have.  i'm so glad that i signed up for sketchbook 3.  it's giving me a place to start and inspiring me to get some pages done.  i've already finished my first layout from the class, so i'm off to a good start.  i plan to start an art journal this month.  creatively i am a pretty structured person.  i like to follow a sketch or use a kit to get my layouts done.  but the thought of opening a blank page in a sketchbook and setting my imagination free scares me, but will be a wonderful creative challenge.  i listened to this podcast and that's what gave me the motivation to do it.

read |  still working on the help.  we haven't had a weekend away so my reading time is limited.  but i hope to finish it this month.  i'm considering reading my life in france or water for elephants next.  my in-laws and grand parents gave me the food stylist's handbook that i've been enjoying too.  there is something so beautiful about food.

organize | our house in need of some serious spring cleaning.  i mean taking things out of the way, way back and getting rid of stuff.  today i took a tiny step and cleaned out my spice cabinet.  i threw things out and organized it so i could see where everything is.  if it didn't have an expiration date and i couldn't remember when i bought it, i threw it out.  and it felt great.  i'm gonna keep that going and move to the pantry next and then all of the cupboards and drawers in my kitchen.

april is going to be a good month.  i can feel it.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Loved the books The Help and Water for Elephants. Excited to see "water" on the big screen soon.

Your idea of putting your goals in writing is a great one. It's more real when in print. I need to follow you in doing this and then I might achieve what I want to accomplish.

Sasha Farina said...

april is going to be a good month, i know that now thanks to you.. and i actually believe it now :) i have a few goals myself.. let's see if I can make them happen :)